Credit for this recipe goes to dantesmom
Ingredients: Makes 8 large samosas (or 16 appetizer-sized samosas with leftover filling)
• 2 Tbsp oil
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• 1 1/4 tsp cumin or curry powder
• 1 Tbsp green chili paste, or 1 hot green chili, minced
• 2 tsp ginger powder or minced ginger root
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 3 large potatoes, diced
• 3/4 cup peas
• salt to taste
• 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
• 2 pie crusts (we use the ones you buy in a box in the dairy case, but you could homemade or whatever)
Prep time: 10-15 minutes of chopping and dicing, 10 minutes cooling in the fridge, 10-20 minutes of wrapping (depending on your wrapping skill!)
Cook time: 20 minutes to boil potatoes, 10 minutes to cook onions, 15-20 minutes to bake samosas
Supplies: Wok or large saucepan, baking sheet, boiling pot
1. Boil diced potatoes until tender.
2. If you are using frozen peas, you can put them in the collander before pouring out the pot with the potatoes.
3. Heat oil in large pot or wok on medium and add coriander, curry/cumin, chili and ginger, adding oil to make a paste, and taking care not to burn spices.
4. Add onions after the spices have simmered for a few minutes, cooking until translucent.
5. Add potatoes and peas and stir to coat all pieces with spice mixture. Remove from heat, add cilantro if you're using it, and put in refrigerator or wait until filling cools to room temperature.
6. Wrap filling in quarters of pie crust. (Cut circle of pie crust in half and then in half again, creating four triangles with a rounded edge. Put filling in center, then bring all three corners of crust up to meet at a point, like a three sided pyramid. Be sure to seal edges well.)
7. Bake at 425 degrees until crust turns a golden brown.
* Best served with tamarind chutney.
* Reheats well in oven or microwave.
Changes: I was making appetizers, so I cut the pie crusts in 1/8ths. I had leftover samosa filling and I plan to make a samosa pot pie of some sort with it. I also was unable to find a recipe for tamarind chutney, so I bought spicy mango chutney.